Easy Moving Checklist

Moving out checklist

Moving is one of the single most stressful times in our lives. I remember the mind numbing rage and frustration I felt at the beginning and end of every summer during my college years. However, my mother, the saint, was always there were her moving out checklist and her moving to do checklist. She would show up, while I was in a state of half packed disarray, and tell me the same things every time.

A week ago, I moved out, and this time I did not need her help moving. From all the help that she had given me, I was able to make my own moving check lists that got me through it all. Here, without further a do, is the simple moving checklist that kept me sane.

1. Purge.

Go through your closets and give away clothes that you have not worn in a month, or maybe a year, depending on how much you have. Throw away all the junk that you save because it might come in handy some day. Just get rid of the non essentials.

Basically, when you are moving, think of it as almost like starting your house over. This way, you can streamline your move, and make sure you have room for all the things that you really do need. This will also save you a lot of money because you can not only sell these possessions, but you will also have less work for the movers, IE their bill will be cheaper.

2. Sort it room by room.

This was the moving tip that carried over the most from my mother. I am not the most logical nor linear thinker, and so I will work on every room of the house at the same time, letting my attention carry me where ever. The best way to stay grounded and to stay organized is to go through your check list room by room.

I do not mean a literal room, though. I mean the kinds of rooms. Kitchen, bathroom, bedroom, office, etc.

3. Pack an emergency box.

Put things that you know you will need on the first day of your new house, when every last one of your possessions is stowed in the various cardboard boxes. This could be a coffee maker and a phone charger and a hoody or it could be your laptop, or whatever. The point is that you do not want to go without when you are moving.

Pack this box into your moving truck or whatever last, so that way it will be the first box you unload.

There you have it folks. That is my moving list. Hope it makes your life easier. If you have any other tips, please comment and share and let me know! Read more: mymovingchecklist.net

Comments

Dead Mcdonald 14-11-2013, 16:38

Thanks for this. This was actually a ton of help. I would always get frustrated as well when it comes to moving and remembering everything.

Kirk Webb 04-03-2014, 22:25

Why would you not pack things away in like boxes? I thought that everyone just packed the kitchen stuff with the kitchen stuff and the bathroom stuff with the bathroom stuff, you know?

John Castillo 04-04-2014, 13:19