Television and the Internet Arm in Arm

High speed internet service

Internet and cable deals are a fairly recent development, though they are an outgrowth of systems that have been around for a long time. Today, internet use is recognized as one of the most basic utilities that people need. It is as basic as telephones or electricity. A lot of people depend on their access to the internet not only to pay their bills and order clothing, but also to work.

Cheap high speed internet is an option for people who want to build better infrastructure for their houses and be better connected to the rest of the world and some people have argued that broadband would increase economic productivity if it were available to everyone. Nonetheless, internet usage in America continues to rise, in spite of the fact that it is mostly the private sector that handles it.

Wide usage of the internet goes back to the mid 1990s so in some ways it was inevitable that internet and cable deals would be bundled together. Cable television, however, is much older. Cable television first came into the marketplace in 1949 and it is divided between two types of programming, basic and Pay TV.

High speed internet services are good services for those who are looking to stream television online, but sometimes people can consolidate their internet and cable deals to make their home information systems more interactive. The notion that internet and cable deals can go together is fairly new, but we are probably only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Tim Cook recently indicated that Apple wanted to shake television up. It remains to be seen if this can happen. For the moment, internet and cable deals will need to find new ways of interacting.

Comments

Sidney Baker 10-08-2013, 08:25

One thing about the internet is that it is changing all the time and responds to people’s needs in real time. It is difficult to say whether or not the internet can update television or just completely absorb it.

Douglas Lee 14-02-2014, 20:41

I’m definitely of the absorb it kind of camp. I don’t think that television is going to last now that it is so easy to stream things.

Cassy Moore 16-03-2014, 19:43