Three Pressing Questions About Urgent Care Answered

Immediate care

Urgent care facilities are nothing new, but they are still not as widely used as Emergency Rooms when a person needs immediate medical care. Given the facts there is plenty of reason to use an urgent care facility. Read on for the answers to three popular questions and the reasoning behind why urgent care may be the best choice for you and your family.

1. How is the urgent care industry doing?

In the 1970s urgent care became a part of a growing movement in the United States. Since then, urgent care as an industry has continued to grow all over the world. One reason that urgent care continues to grow is that many primary care physicians have an overwhelming caseload. Everyone knows that if you want to schedule an appointment with your doctor you need to expect that you will not see them for months from the date of scheduling. Then you will have a long wait time once you actually get to the office, and you will likely have very little time with your doctor when all is said and done.

This problem has created a niche for urgent care providers to fill.

2. Are urgent care facilities equipped for my needs?

Although urgent care centers are best equipped to take care of sudden and severe conditions, they are also more commonly becoming equipped to provide valuable peripheral services. If you need an x ray, a routine physical, or some lab work done, chances are that the urgent care facility will be able to help you with that, too.

These medical centers are adequately equipped to provide for both urgent medical care, and for traditional walk in doctor services. Did you know that every year in the United States there are almost seven million bones broken? Statistically, that means that most people can expect to break a bone at some point in their lives. The next time you have a broken bone, provided that you are not likely to drop dead from it, consider an urgent care facility.

3. Are urgent care facilities better than the Emergency Room?

There is a significant cost to people and the health care system when one in five visits to an Emergency Room could have been taken care of at an urgent care provider. A study in 2010 conducted by the Rand Corporation found that if those visits had instead been made at urgent care centers then $4.4 billion in health care costs could have been saved annually.

Emergency Rooms are often filled with people who are not in an emergency. Therefore, it is not a matter of which is better, but which is more appropriate.

The next time you need medical treatment consider an urgent care center. They are becoming more popular, they provide more services than ever before, and you can leave the Emergency Room to the real emergencies. More can be found here.

Comments

Gordon Carlson 06-10-2013, 10:36

It is true. I once saw a guy at the emergency room who was there because his tooth ached. Dude, go to a dentist.

Audrey Herrera 05-03-2014, 15:44

Some people use emergency rooms I think because you can get away with not paying them. They send you a bill but if you do not pay them there is no penalty at all. I wonder if it is the same thing with an urgent care center.

Ronnie Allen 04-04-2014, 16:43