Drivers Ed Can Save Your Life!

Driving lessons

Behind the wheel training is necessary for anyone who is looking to get her drivers license. Classes for driving instruction are typically held jointly in a classroom and out on the road in order to provide both hands on and theoretical knowledge. On the road, driving instruction vehicles are fitted with two controls, thus empowering the instructor to operate breaks and other parts of the vehicle if necessary as a safety measure. Dual control vehicles did not exist, however, when drivers ed first began.

The very first driving instruction course was held by a teacher using his own car. That kind of thing would never happen these days at driving school due to insurance liability concerns. Drivers training has changed in other ways as well since it first began. For example, it has only been relatively recently that driving instruction programs incorporated information on drunk driving and driving under the influence of drugs. These issues were not considered important enough to cover in the early days of drivers education, and in fact, strict penalties for driving while intoxicated were not put on the books until the 1970s. There were drunk driving laws before then, but they were not strictly enforced, nor were they particularly tough.

Since the first traffic fatality took place in 1899 in New York City, people have been worried about safe driving. There are approximately 65 traffic tickets issued every minute in the United States currently, and we all know that speed accounts for a statistically high percentage of traffic fatalities. Thus, we should all be glad that there are driving instruction programs available that can train new drivers to be responsible citizens on the road. More like this blog.

Comments

Taylor James 03-02-2014, 09:34

I have heard that due to budget constraints, a lot of school districts are de funding drivers education and cutting driving instruction programs. That is a terrible shame. Drivers ed does save lives.

Jimmie Vega 05-08-2014, 20:59

I am so glad I took drivers ed when I first got my learners permit at 16. I am 39 now, and I still automatically perform a lot of the defensive driving techniques I was taught in my drivers ed class.

Chris Shelton 05-09-2014, 13:33